Held at The Javits Center, the Opening Ceremony show during NYFW was like no other. With emcees Carrie Brownstein and Fred Armisen, the show was titled 'Pageant of the People' and included special celebrity guests (Aidy Bryant, Ali Wong, Alia Shawkat, Aubrey Plaza, Diane Guerrero, Jessica Williams, Natasha Lyonne, Rashida Jones, Rowan Blanchard, Sarah McBride, and Whoopi Goldberg) as well as the models to showcase the looks. Part fashion show and part political message by Founders Carol Lim and Humberto Leon, it was, according to show notes, "a tribute to the America democratic process and the diversity of those who participate in it".
September 23, 2016
Fall is my favorite season for shopping and adding to my wardrobe, but it's also the most overwhelming. There are so many trends and amazing pieces to choose from which makes it hard to stick to a budget!
So for now, I'm starting off the season focusing on just a few fave Fall Trends that can work well with many other pieces in a wardrobe.
My current must-haves:
1. Bell Sleeves - Just bought this one (shown in photo above) from Club Monaco. Love that it's classic, a neutral color and the sleeves are subtle, not exaggerated.
2. Choker - I have to admit, I thought the choker trend was not for me at first. I love the look, but didn't think I could pull it off. I mean, can you really wear it stylishly after your 20's? Also, the wrong one can really make your neck look shorter which is never a good look! But it's been such a huge trend that I couldn't help myself from trying different styles and finally found some I liked and didn't feel ridiculous wearing. Love the one I bought above and this one which you can see me wearing here on my instagram feed (@josephinacollection). If you're still not sure, just do a delicate chain in a 'choker' length. Best of all, the chokers I picked are all less than $50!
3. Pleated Skirt - A classic look that you can make edgy and fashion-forward with the right accessories and shoe, you can't go wrong! The one above is from Zara.
4. Metallics - I'm currently obsessed with metallics right now. Love it in bags (scroll through 'shop the post' below) or you can get a metallic, pleated skirt like the one above and do 2 trends in one...
5. Velvet - Just bought the velvet booties in the above photo, love them. A classic velvet blazer like this one is also a great wardrobe investment.
6. Booties - A forever Fall trend, a comfortable bootie is always a good purchase. Completely obsessed with my blue velvet bootie above.
Scroll through below to shop the post for my purchases in the top photo and more related Fall Trend must-have picks:
Follow me on Instagram so I can see your Fall trend picks as well! :)
September 20, 2016
Son Jung Wan's collection for Spring/Summer 2017 was energetic and fun with dramatic prints, vibrant colors and some flowy or voluminous silhouettes. Inspired by her interpretation of the '70s disco era, the looks were confident as well as flashy and bold.
September 19, 2016
Inspired by a magical and glorious vision of rebirth, Tadashi Shoji's collection for Spring/Summer 2017 was a collection of evening wear that was sensual, light and feminine. With a color palette that primarily included shades of white, black, blue, red and teal, the looks were ethereal as well as striking. My favorite features of the collection were in the details: feather trim, exquisite lace and intricate embroidery.
Above and below are my fave looks...
September 16, 2016
Lace, fluid volume, and luxurious embellishments or fabrications were standout features of the collection. The colors were rich and saturated in a palette of purple/burgundy, red, green and black.
Stunning dresses for a beautiful collection!
September 15, 2016
On the first official day of NYFW for the SS17 collections, Noon by Noor debuted a collection that was modern, feminine and romantic.
Inspired by the travels of the designers, Shaikha Noor Al Khalifa and Shaikha Haya Al Khalifa, the collection incorporated references to ranunculus flowers from Bahrain in addition to heavy textures and hard lines from New York City.
The color palette was clean and simple in pale pink, salmon, antique gold, luminous white and black.
The looks were fluid and light and often included intricate floral embellishments. Lightweight fabrics such as tulle, mesh or chiffon were contrasted with heavier fabrications such as jacquard or via dense embellishments.
Keeping fresh and modern, the collection included loungewear pieces such as bralettes, a slip dress and slides as well as a more sporty look via the mesh bomber and cropped trousers.
September 13, 2016
This Rebecca Minkoff bag (on sale now!) was a spur-of-the-moment purchase. I liked that it was a crossbody bag, but the chain strap could also be adjusted to a shorter length to make it a more classic/traditional shoulder bag. I bought it about a month ago and it's been one of my fave bag purchases. It's just the right size, it's in a completely neutral color (all black hardware) to go with any outfit, the price is reasonable(for a bag...), and it's of good quality.
I carried this bag for several of the shows/events for New York Fashion Week, and today I'm sharing with you my NYFW essentials...
Scroll through or click below to see and/or buy 'What's in My Bag':
1. Ray-Ban Sunnies- Received these aviators via a glasses subscription service courtesy of DITTO. Use my code: JOSEPHINACOLLECTION to get a free one-month subscription.
2. GiGi New York zip card case- This is perfect when I need something really small (and cute) to hold my cards and money.
3. Kiehl's lip balm- Hands down the best lip balm. Kind of bulky, but this is better than the one in the tube.
4. Topshop Lipstick- Favorite pink lipstick.
5. Makeup Forever HD pressed powder
6. Trish McEvoy lipliner in nude
7. Ball of Foot cushions- A necessity for extended high heel wearing time...
Voilà, my current faves. I'll be posting soon on the trends and shows I attended during fashion week, but in the meantime check out my Instagram feed, @josephinacollection, to catch up and follow along with me!
September 3, 2016
It's September, and it's that time of year. Back to school? Well, yes. But it's also time for NYFW (starts on the 8th)...yay! And with fashion week, comes several consecutive days of wearing high heels, for me at least. The right heels make almost any outfit look better so why not. Right?
I'm very selective with the shoes I wear and try to make sure that they are comfortable and of great quality regardless of price. But let's be honest, even the most comfortable heels can become uncomfortable if you wear them long enough! So over many high heel wearing years, I've experimented with different foot care items to prevent or at least minimize the discomfort.
Below are some of my foot care essentials that I always keep in stock at home and that are often hiding in my shoes:
2. Ball of foot cushions that prevent your feet from sliding forward (no pinched toes!) and provides that extra cushion needed for more comfort when the heels are extra high.
3. Another type of heel liner I like, because it works with any shoe color and is thinner in size.
4. Moleskin padding that you can cut/trim to the exact size needed to cover any strap, bump, etc. that's poking into your skin.
5. Last but not least, patches containing menthol and caffeine to help relieve discomfort after a long day on your feet! I sometimes put these on my calves and on the bottom of my feet before I go to bed. It is so relaxing.
So whether you're dressing for NYFW, a special event or just love wearing high heels, try these out if you haven't already!
Shop the post for these foot care items as well as the shoes shown above (if available, I bought some of them a long time ago!):